Obstructive sleep apnea is seen in all age groups, but the frequency increases with age and obesity. Symptoms include snoring and daytime sleepiness. Weight loss, sleeping on one's side, and decreasing alcohol consumption can help. The delivery of pressure via a face or nasal mask (CPAP) is often prescribed. Other common treatments include an oral device and surgery.
Signs and symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea include:
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Loud snoring
- Observed episodes of stopped breathing during sleep
- Abrupt awakenings accompanied by gasping or choking
- Awakening with a dry mouth or sore throat
- Morning headache
- Difficulty concentrating during the day
- Mood changes, such as depression or irritability
- High blood pressure
- Decreased libido
Inspire - Sleep Apnea Innovation
Inspire is the only FDA approved obstructive sleep apnea treatment that works inside your body to treat the root cause of sleep apnea with just the click of a button. Inspire works inside your body while you sleep. It's a small device placed during a same-day, outpatient procedure. When you're ready for bed, simply click the remote to turn Inspire on. While you sleep, Inspire opens your airway, allowing you to breathe normally and sleep peacefully.
Daytime therapy for mild obstructive sleep apnea and snoring
eXciteOSA® is the world's first daytime therapy proven to strengthen weak tongue muscles known to be the root cause of sleep apnea and snoring
- 90% of patients reported a reduction in snoring time
- 89% of bed partners reported a reduction of their partners snoring
- 79% of sleep apnea patients achieved a reduction in sleep apnea measures
Ask your doctor about any sleep problem that leaves you chronically fatigued, sleepy and irritable. Excessive daytime drowsiness may be due to other disorders, such as narcolepsy.